Saturday, November 19, 2011

What’s Wrong With Playing College Football on Friday Nights?

As it turns out a lot.

Oklahoma State fell to Iowa State last night, in an epic double overtime thriller. #2 in the Country, on the road, got knocked off their spot and the door has been seemingly taken off its hinges.

Let the 1-Loss Beauty Pageant begin. BCS chaos. Ratings gold, right?

Thing is last night was a Friday night.

I think we’re missing the bigger picture here.

Didn't Friday night used to stand for High School Football?

College Football on Friday night just does not sit right with me, and I’m one of the biggest college football fans around. For everything that ESPN has done to promote and accentuate college football, I believe there is an equal or lesser part where they have detracted from it, and this is Exhibit A.

In their hunt for the story and ratings and the truth, ESPN is always one of the first to stick their cameras or mics in the face of someone when there is a controversy or scandal. I’m all for the truth and getting a story out that is corroborated and backed up. But this time I’m pointing that light on them. Maybe it’s a moot point as many Americans will probably not see it my way, but bear with me for 2 seconds.

If we are trying to promote good core family values and expect people to have some moral and ethical backbone (which seems to be in question a lot these days), then should we not also give a family a simple Friday night with uninterrupted time to watch, enjoy and support their high school football program.

Imagine for a minute that you’re an Oklahoma State graduate living in Iowa. You have 2 boys playing high school football. They have big game lined up for Friday night, and guess who is in town. Your alma mater, ranked #2 in the Country. You’re torn. You’re an OK State season ticket holder and you try to never miss a game. You’ve got your boys in the playoffs, and you’ll be there supporting them. Of course, family first. But you’re taking your phone and you’re going to keep an eye on it.

With all the time in the week, I find this just flat out wrong. It sends the wrong message.

We should not even be having this conversation, but ESPN in their quest for more EVERYTHING has disrupted the beautiful balanced ecosystem that once existed coast to coast. Now in its goal for a game to be in every crevice of the week and more ratings and more money, they have left us with this seemingly unbalanced Friday night situation.

I’m all for giving Friday nights back to the kids and families, so here is my vote to take back Friday night.

With all due respect, ESPN, please back off Friday night.

Don't get me wrong, I love ESPN. I remember watching the first College Football GameDay show. I remember Herbie's first show. They have one of the best on campus and in the studio shows ever put together. I've been a supporter for years.

But in this case, I think they've gone off the tracks.

It has been said often, “It’s all about the money”. Well friends, I disagree. Sometimes it should NOT be all about the money.

This time…it should be about the kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment